Due to the new type of coronavirus (COVID-19), which has turned into a global disaster, the number of deaths has exceeded 90.000 and the number of cases exceeding 1.000.500 thousand. Let’s see all together to remember what happened since the virus emerged.
The world was first informed of the new type of coronavirus epidemic when it reported to the World Health Organization that an unknown source of mysterious respiratory disease occurred in Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019.
When the epidemic, which was initially perceived as a regional “epidemic” affecting China and its surroundings, crossed the Asian borders and threatened public health globally in the following days, the world became locked in virus-related developments, and measures to control and prevent the epidemic became the main agenda of all countries.
The developments over the 100-day period since the first hearing of the new type of coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak were:
Appeared in Wuhan, China
- On December 31, 2019, China reported that a mysterious respiratory illness was unknown in Wuhan, Hubei Province.
- It was estimated that an unknown type of virus caused the disease that caused lung inflammation.
- On January 1, the Seafood Food Market in Wuhan, which was determined to be visited by those who first caught the disease, was closed.
- It was understood that the genetic structure of the virus that caused the disease on January 3 was 80 percent similar to the coronavirus that caused SARS spread from China in 2002-2003.
“New type of coronavirus”
- On January 7, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that the disease was not SARS but was caused by a new type of coronavirus. The new type of coronavirus, which is the mutated form of a beta coronavirus in bats, was called “2019-nCov”.
- On January 11, a person died from the disease for the first time in China. The deceased was a 61-year-old man who was estimated to have coronavirus while shopping from the market in Wuhan.
- On January 13, the first case outside China was seen. A new type of coronavirus was detected in a female patient in Thailand.
- On January 16, a new type of coronavirus was detected in Japan from a person who came from Wuhan.
- On January 21, the first case of Covid-19 occurred in the USA.
- The virus spread to many countries through traveling passengers. People with new types of coronavirus were treated in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Australia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Nepal.
- On 23 January, all transportation to the city of Wuhan was stopped and quarantine measures began to be implemented.
- On January 24, the first cases appeared in Europe. A new type of coronavirus was detected in two people from France and one of their relatives in France.
- On January 30, WHO declared “a global emergency”.
- On January 31, the first cases were seen in England, Italy, and Spain.
- On February 2, a person died in the Philippines for the first time outside of China.
Left SARS behind
- The number of deaths from the new type of coronavirus reached 811 on February 9. The number of deaths in the outbreak surpassed SARS.
- On February 11, WHO announced that the new type of coronavirus was called “Covid-19”.
- The first case on the continent of Africa was seen on February 14. A new type of coronavirus was detected in one person in Egypt.
- The first death in Europe happened in France
Outbreaks in South Korea, Iran, and Italy
- On February 19, the first cases and deaths occurred in Iran.
- On February 22, 229 cases were seen in South Korea in one day. It was stated that the spread in the congregation of a Catholic Christian Church in the city of Daegu, in the south of the country, has played a role in the epidemic.
- On February 25, Covid-19 was reported to be seen at İreç Herirçi, Deputy Minister of Health of Iran.
- On February 26, the first case on the South American continent was seen in Brazil, from a businessman returning from travel from Italy.
First death in the USA
- On February 27, Saudi Arabia suspended Umrah visits due to Covid-19.
- On February 28, WHO announced that they have increased the global risk level for Covid-19 from “high” to “very high”.
- On February 29, the first death in the USA happened.
- In the first 6 days of March, the number of cases in Italy increased 6 times.
- On March 8, the Lombardy Region and 14 cities were quarantined where the outbreak spread.
- On March 10, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced comprehensive quarantine measures, limiting free movement in the country. While primary and secondary schools and universities were on holiday, all sports competitions including the First Football League Serie A were stopped.
The first case in Turkey
- On March 11, the Ministry of Health has announced that the first case seen in Turkey.
- WHO has declared the new type coronavirus “pandemic” (global epidemic).
- US President Donald Trump has announced that they have closed their borders for 30 days to all passengers from Europe, with the exception of the UK.
- On March 12, university primary and secondary educations were suspended in Turkey.
- On March 13, in the USA, President Trump declared a “national emergency” across the country due to the epidemic, announcing that the $ 50 billion fund from the federal budget will be transferred to states and regions.
- On March 17, the European Union (EU) imposed a 30-day temporary restraint on third-country nationals’ travel to member states and the Schengen area.
- In France, while restricting free movement throughout the country, comprehensive quarantine measures were introduced.
- It was reported that for the first time in China, the epidemic occurred on March 19, there were no new domestic cases.
- On 21 March, comprehensive quarantine measures began to be implemented in Turkey.
- Quarantine measures were introduced in Britain on 23 March.
Olympics are postponed
- On March 24, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to postpone the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to next year.
- On 25 March, 21 days of the curfew was declared in India.
- The number of Covid-19 cases in the USA on March 26 surpassed China. The country has become a country with the most cases.
- On March 27, the USA Congress approved the $ 2.2 trillion economic stimulus package to help individuals and businesses suffering from the epidemic. This was the largest economic aid package in the country’s history.
British Prime Minister got sick
- That same day, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that the Covid-19 test was positive.
- On April 2, Covid-19 cases exceeded 1 million worldwide.
- 3 April, the entrances and exists have been banned for 15 days in the 30 metropolitans in Turkey.
- It was reported that for the first time in China, there was no new death on April 7. The quarantine was removed in the city of Wuhan.
- On April 8, Covid-19 cases exceeded 1.5 million worldwide.
- The new type of coronavirus (Kovid-19) emerging in China has spread to nearly 200 countries and regions around the world and has turned into a pandemic (global epidemic). While the virus has been transmitted to more than 1.5 million people worldwide, nearly 90.000 people have died due to the virus.